Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Downloading the GWT Example Programs

How to download GWT Example Projects


Adhering to the currently running GWT Conference I'm blogging about a small issue in the GWT site.


It happens that, after seeing the reasonably good demos, I wants to have the code in my PC.


download sample ... or not?It looks easy: there is a prominent link button closing the page content (see image) labeled "Download Source Code."


So I clicked the button and it took me to a page titled "Google Web Toolkit Downloads" contaning the GWT download offerings, which does not include the sample code I wanted. Only a "Download Google Web Toolkit" button.


I said to myself "It must be somewhere near here" and started looking around.


A "see our complete download list." link seemed the solution, but not: it contains lots of GWT versions including release candidates for version 1.0 (1.4 is current as I write this.)


Conclusion: not a single sample download, I verified that all five example projects led to the same page.


The bottom line


It happens that the examples are included in the GWT download. So it's right to take the user to the download page, but #~@%gggg!


Instead of the notorious "Download Source Code" it would have been better to write "The source code gets installed with GWT in subfolder x."


A bit on usability


Most usability issues are small and silly, the problem is when they are so many!

No comments:

Post a Comment